by Marcia Hemstreet
And Here’s Marcia Hemstreet…
There are many conflicting messages out there about autism. How do you know what to believe? I can’t answer that question, but what I can do is share what I would say to someone who is looking for advice:
- Autism is a complex immune system illness that has been mistakenly labeled as a developmental disorder. There are many, many well-respected medical professionals who believe that immune system dysfunction plays a starring role in the development, and treatment, of autism.
- Because autism is a medical illness, it is treatable, and that is great news! One cannot expect the same from a developmental disorder.
- There are going to be what seems like a million people trying to sell you something that will help “cure” your child, but do not buy anything for those first few weeks after the diagnosis. Give yourself some time to get your autism sea legs.
- Read everything you can about autism. Get familiar with the different viewpoints and debates. There is a lot of information out there, and you need to get a sense of what’s realistic and what’s not. I actually got my first library card in over ten years when my son was diagnosed, and started reading everything I could get my hands on.
- Don’t expect your family doctor to know about the many safe treatments that could be beneficial for your child. Your family doctor is not an autism specialist, and you can’t expect them to be. Hopefully, you and your doctor can work together as a team to help your child. But remember, you will be the instrumental person in your child’s autism journey.
- There will be many ups and downs as your child gets better.
Hang In There And Don’t Ever Give Up!
NOTE FROM MARCIA HINDS – Megan and Ryan’s mom:
Ryan became an aerospace engineer, because he received proper medical treatment combined with behavioral, and educational interventions. To preview my book, “I Know You’re In There – winning our war against autism”go to Amazon or my website www.autism-and-treatment.com
Contact info for Marcia:
Phone: 805 497-8202 Email: If you need help finding a doctor email@example.com
There is more info to help on my website.